Look, let me be the first to say I look forward to the end of the Bush Administration. If only because those who have made a living off of doom mongering will be forced to board the S.S. STFU and set sail for oblivion. Or reinvention.
Art and fashion critic Naomi Wolf is out with a book titled “The End of America, A Letter of Warning to a Young Patriot.” In it, she outlines the ten easy bake steps to fascism. Boing Boing has the link over here.
I’m constantly amazed, when pearl diving through the internet, how those who fear the government the most are the same ones calling for its growth. Bush’s Evil Surveillance State would be improved with universal health care, mandatory psyche screenings, fewer guns and less Bush. Right.
What they really want is to execute a capitated regime change while growing the rest.
Her list reads like the half remembered meanderings of a self absorbed literati. Without even reading the book, let me try and see if I can guess Naomi’s pathologies:
1. Invoke a terrifying internal and external enemy. (Jihad? What Jihad? Seen those swank new burginis?)
2. Create a gulag. (GITMOGITMOGITMOGITMO)
3. Develop a thug caste . (BLACKWATER!!!!!)
4. Set up an internal surveillance system. (That thing Poindexter wuz working on!!)
5. Harass citizens' groups. (Bitchslapping Moveon)
6. Engage in arbitrary detention and release. (I think she’s talking a fishing here).
7. Target key individuals. (People I know who’ve been inconvenienced at check in counters on the way to Vail).
8. Control the press.( FOX)
9. Dissent equals treason. (She talking about Zombies?)
10. Suspend the rule of law. (FLORIDAFLORIDAFLORIDA)
If you want to understand how totalitarianism develops, you only have to read three books:
If you want to watch it develop in real time, I mean see nuttiness really develop, then set your google alerts to “Venezuela, Chavez."