Friday, March 2, 2007

R. Humans

So I'm about midway through Kurzweil's book, The Singularity is Near. At least now, I can reread Accelerando with a much better understanding.

This is the Year 2007. Or the Year of the Gnat. Or Fifteen Hundred Akabaka. Or something.

Still, no aircars, moon colonies, planned Jupiter Missions or ETI invasion.

In a word, boring.

I asked my subaltern how old he was. 22 was the answer.

Cingular is now the new AT&T. My subaltern wasn't even born when the old AT&T was broken up into the Baby Bells. I remeber when calling across the street was a like a dollar in long distance charges. And cars cost six thousand dollars. A a trip in a plane was, well, not something you did for a weekend trip.

The world, at least my corner of it, has gotten smaller, and in many ways, better.

Kurzweil posits some ideas I'm still digesting. Interesting ideas.

I don't know.

But if 2107 is anything like 2007, I'm going to have to talk to management.

No comments:

google analytics