Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Googlezon and Amazonia are at war.....

Googlezon and Amazonia have always been at war.

From Thomas P.M. Barnett’s site, I found Sean linking to a deliciously geeky sight on maps called Strange Maps. You know, some people are into S&M. Me, I’m into maps. One day, I dream of some leather clad babe playing Sykes to my Picot.

Scrolling through the site, I came across (pinched from wiki) a map of George Orwell’s 1984:

Looking at it, I thought, “hey, that looks familiar.” So I launched my mindmap (Powerpoint, if you must know. For my money, better than all the COTS mindmapping software out there). I took the 1984 map and turned it into my 2070: The Do Nothing Version map of the future.

These maps are based two parts straight line analysis and conjecture of future trends and one part bullshit. I leave it to the gentle reader to figure out which. In addition, it’s not to represent, wholly, currently defined national borders. Rather, where trends will occur. Last I stuck with Non-Integrating Gap because I’m good with the implied hope. It’s a way of saying do A,B, and C and succeed. Don’t, and fail.

I don’t know if it’s right, but as one A.I. said to the other, “it feels logical.”

The first map is of the, I don't know, "market states," "areas of influence" or trend spotting. Second map is what's coming from those regions. I picked the year "2070" in much the same way Orwell picked "1984."

So, here they are:


Odd, I know. By the way, if you're good at genetic algorithms, Google is hiring.

Oh, and speaking of maps (it's just that kind of day) Sean links to an NPR map on migration. Seems focused on the large economic motives for migration. The flow is generally unidirectional, towards more permissive rule sets. Migration of Americans to Mexico? Cheap beach front property.

Look, I had some friends who lived and worked in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. They lived pretty well. Generally, when Americans migrate it's because, to paraphrase Frank Sinatra, "They've gone and made it here, now want to take it anywhere....." Fair enough.

Me, I'm in favor of immigration. For people. Crappy rule sets can stay at home.

No comments:

google analytics