Saturday, December 30, 2006

60 Bucks to Vassar....

I've been looking for a non server based "personnal wiki". A place to compose my notes and ideas ("eat more vegetables", "investigate this internet thing", "check on worldcom stock"). I like the wiki concept, and I imagine if I had an enterprise, that'd be a perfect solution. For my personnal, online needs (scheduling, quick notes and such), google's suite of apps work just fine. But I like having my data on a harddrive I control. I know, so early 2003, but I'm old fashioned like that.

Alas.

I did find voodoopad, described as a sort of wikinotepad, meets my needs. It's not as static as Microsoft's Entourage app, lets me import pictures and draw sketches. I will probably drop the twenty nine bucks to buy a license (disclosure: not associated with voodoopad, or the soul sucking PayPerPost, btw...I mean come on, look at my sitemeter).

Speaking of anachronisms, I was in the post office today. I'd always heard and seen pictures of those Susan B. Sakagawea coins, but I've never held one. Well, I put ten dracma into the automated postal certification dispensing machine, and out popped a book of twenty first class stamps. Heard the coins drop, grabbed them and dumped them in my pocket. Then I spent the better part of a miinute looking for the two dollars I was owed (come one, those self checkouts at the grocery store dispence dollars). Finally, I pulled out the coins, looked at them, and I'll be deployed!!! I had two Susan B. Sakagawea coins hiding in and among the two dimes.

Life is made up of small pleasures.

As I addressing my letters, the voice of a high school senior, female type, exploded in my head.

Phone etiquette. Conversations are between yourself, and the person on the other end of the line. Otherwise, it sounds like this:

"FIND A COMPUTER!! WHAT? ANY COMPUTER. AS LONG AS IT'S CONNECTED TO THE INTERNET. OK. FIND OUT HOW MUCH VASSAR'S APPLICATION FEE IS. WHAT? NOW! OK. HOW MUCH. OKAY. DAD!!? VASSAR'S FEE IS SIXTY DOLLARS. DAD? YEAH, SIXTY DOLLARS."

Well, I guess the alternate is to be seen talking to yourself, on and on, until I notice this bluetooth parasite growing from your ear.

Technology is wonderful.

Voodoopad:

No comments:

google analytics