1) The Narrative. It has to address a problem. Real is preferable but percieved will do just as well.
2) Teach the Narrative. The earlier, the better. The young tend to be gullible, and easy to steal from.
3) Reinforce the Narrative. Here's where you get the crushing of dissent.
4) Impose the Narrative. Some light violence, bit of egg breaking.
5) Narrative overcomes reality. Endgame?
Five simple steps you can write down or remember.
I've been racking my brain, trying to figure out a scenario where "degenerate individualism" results in some kind of despotism.